Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Girl on the Right

My cousin Anthony sent me this picture. He said when he saw it he thought of me! I was so happy that is who I reminded him of.
I so want to always be the girl on the right!!

Every girl/woman should be the girl on the right! I think the easiest times for girls and women to be the girl on the right is before their teens and after their 50s. Those years in between most of us tend to follow all the mindsets of our peers, our family, children, work friends. I think by the time a lot of women get past their 40s they begin to decide that, hey time is going by too fast, I'm not playing this game anymore, I just want to be me!

I don't get reality TV and the obsession with it. Do people really believe that what is shown on TV is these people's reality?
Come on! 🙄

I took a really great acting class so many years ago. I forget the name of the class but we had to perform in front of the class actions we did in own own realities. Things we do alone and are always at our most natural self. I chose once to polish my fingernails. I couldn't use real nail polish. I used an imaginary brush and bottle and tried to just be me. Very difficult in front of an audience. The class was teaching us that if I played say Cleapatra in a movie or play, that part of Cleapatra would be the real me, making my Cleapatra different from the late great Elizabeth Taylor. It was a wonderful class and also a life lesson. Be the girl on the right! When I polish my nails I mess it up, curse out loud, continue talking to myself. Spill polish, mess up a nail and try to fix it and then mess it up again. And as much as I tried to be alone in my bedroom doing my nails in front of an audience, the real me was very difficult to just be. That is something the truly great actors and actresses can do. Every movie, play or TV show you see them in, you are thinking like wow I can't believe this is Meryl Streep or James Stuart and more of the late greats and today's greats.

In this picture I am literally (as in the picture above) and physically, the girl on the right.
If you know me, you have picked me out right away. I am on the bottom row second girl on the right. The first girl on the right is my dear beautiful cousin Sandra. I love the way she is looking at me. She thinks I'm funny, silly, the girl on the right. She is a woman on the right today. Awesome. Notice also how everyone is dressed in summer wear. Not me. I have a very vague memory of arguing with my mom that day because I insisted on wearing that dress! The dress was not a summer dress!! It has a mock turtleneck and is actually a jumper. A white dress underneath and the flowered part a sleeveless jumper that went over the white dress and had buttons on the back. I just loved to wear dresses and pretty shoes! Now I want to wear jeans and pretty comfortable sneakers!

I love seeing young girls and boys on the right during my everyday chores or visits to the mall or supermarket. The other day I saw a little boy, about five I'd say. He was in his own world, dancing and singing at the top of his lungs the Oompa Loompa song from the movie Willie Wonker and the Chocolate Factory. I saw another little girl, she was maybe ten. She could see her reflection in the store window and just started dancing like she was all alone and watching her reflection. She didn't even think anyone was looking at her. And if she did, it didn't matter. She was being the girl on the right.

I would say that most of the female friends in my life are the girl on the right. It's funny when I first met them I had no idea they were the girl on the right, or today the woman on the right. I have been naturally drawn to the girl/woman on the right my entire life. Because then I am comfortable still being the girl on the right!!!

I believe all my nieces are the girls/women on the right. My nephews too, the boys on the right. Unique individuals who all acted like no one noticed what they were doing, whatever came into their minds and imagination, when they were two, three, four, ten and eleven. Most of them are teenagers now or in their 20s and 30s. My youngest niece just turned 12.
Too soon, she will be a teenager. I hope she keeps her girl on the right attitude. Bella is really the girl on the right! Bella makes everyone laugh! She's crazy. In a great way. The girl on the right. In this picture she had shared with schoolmates saying she was dressing up as one of her teachers. Oh what we see with our childhood eyes!!! I suspect that this teacher either wears too much makeup, is still seeking the fountain of youth or maybe she was a girl on the right and is now a woman on the right? Being who she is.

I want to live to a ripe old age, wrinkles and all. Just as long as I haven't lost more marbles than I already have and can still do things for myself. Each line on my face I will think of as a laugh line, a lost love line, a life lesson line, another day in the sunshine line. Even the lost loved one line is good because it means I loved and was loved back.

My life is far from perfect but one thing I have always had was the acceptance of how old I am!!! I never wanted to be 16 when I was 13. 13 was great. So was 16 and 21, 30, 40, 50 and 58! Good and bad times in all my years but I just want more years!!! Of course we all say if I could be 20 again and know what I know now! Just as much a fantasy as the fountain of youth! Accept who you are, how old you are, as well as accepting the obstacles you have had in life. Somehow we learn from obstacles and heartaches. We learn to appreciate little things that we took for granted for so many years. I myself am a very slow learner! But right now I have today and I'm sure I will learn one little thing today. Appreciate one simple sight that I didn't yesterday!

Be the girl/woman/boy/man on the right!!!

March to the beat of your own drummer!!!

Accept.

No comments: