Friday, February 24, 2012

Housecoats

Housecoats, a look from yesteryear. My mom wore them, my Grandma Loretta and there are still a few classy ladies from yesteryear that still wear their housecoats. And the shorter housecoat, kind of like a jacket or an apron. Took me forever to find a picture of that one. Seems like they are called a kasack, never heard that word. My mom favored the short housecoat (kasack), though I kinda think they weren't around when I was really young, in my very young memories of my mom, she's wearing the longer housecoat.

Housecoats are basically an all-over apron. They had pockets, were comfortable and if anything spilled or one of your many kids or grandkids touched you with filthy hands, your good clothes weren't ruined.

I can remember my grandma coming to our house. She was a very independent lady. My father always offered to pick her up, she lived about 30 or so blocks from us in Brooklyn. But no, grandma could take the bus, loaded down with all her goodies for us and her PJs, comfortable shoes and her housecoat. She would wear a pretty dress, probably one of her Sunday bests while traveling to our house and when she was done kissing and hugging us she would go and change into her housecoat and comfortable orthopedic shoes. This is kinda how my grandma looked, glasses and all! That's my biggest memory of how she looked! I have pictures of her, but she's all dressed up, not the grandma that lives in my memory. With my mom too, lots of pictures of her without her housecoat but as with my grandma when I imagine her, she's in her cute little housecoat, just the everyday mom and grandma, the simple little memories that are way bigger in my heart than the major events we shared.

My sister-in-law Janet, her mom, beautiful Josie, I've seen her in a short housecoat. Again it was something that most moms and grandmas wore when I was growing up and it's still a part of their wardrobe (only in the house, it's a housecoat).

I'm 53...still have to stop and think about that sometimes, I actually forget how old I am, I think I'm 54, no 53, then I'm counting or pulling out a calculator, duh...but if you are my age I'll bet housecoats were something you grew up seeing all the time.

Moms were home when I was growing up. Calling for my friends and seeing their mom in her housecoat was just the norm, doing chores and saving your good clothes. My friend Linda too. Her mom, God bless her, 83, walks up three flights of stairs still going strong. These days when I see her it's at special occasions and she's all dolled up, but when I think of her, I still just imagine her in her cute housecoat. I would go to Linda's house after school or stay over night sometimes when we were in high school and her mom always had on the same kind of housecoat my mom did. Besides being such a nice family, that housecoat also made me feel at home. And to top it off, Linda's mom made the best Sunday breakfasts ever! Eggs and bacon on fresh rolls with a slice of American cheese and then a horseshoe cake. First time I ever had a horseshoe cake was at Linda's house. And the rolls and cake were picked up fresh baked first thing that morning from Leske's Bakery in Bay Ridge Brooklyn. Unfortunately Leske's just closed down and my friend Linda's been crying since!

I listen to a talk radio program for a short time on my way to work and on my way home. The morning show is called the Dennis and Judy Show on NJ 101.5. I love to listen to most of their topics, sometimes I do switch off if it's something I'm not into, but for the most part I really enjoy the show. People call in and give their two cents on the topics discussed and I love hearing what the "real" people think and have to say. For too long a time Judy was gone, in fact when I first started listening it was Dennis and Michele and I didn't dig Michele.

Michele (don't know her last name) used to work the late night show the first time I heard her on the radio and though there were interesting topics and great comments from people calling in, I didn't dig Michele. That show, called After Hours, has a new Michelle, Michelle Jerson. And though I don't always agree with what this new Michelle has to say all the time, I do enjoy her hosting the show, she fits.

But back to the other Michele (don't know her last name). A few times she discussed, on both the After Hours Show and the day-time show with Dennis, how she thought it was horrible, absolutely ridiculous seeing a 50 or 60 year old wearing jeans, wearing flip flops and t-shirts, trying to look young. I don't know her last name and I don't know how old she is, but I'll bet a million dollars (that of course I don't have) that what this Michele "who cares what her last name is" will be wearing the same style of clothes she wears now when she's 50, 60 and older.

I'm in my 50s. I still wear jeans, most of which are worn and frayed, flip flops, t-shirts, sweat pants. Yes it's a little different from what I was wearing even 10 or 15 years ago, more age appropriate, but all of these clothes, shoes, whatever are part of who I am, who most people my age are. And even men and women in their 60s and 70s wearing jeans, I don't think anything of it, they just grew up wearing them, as housecoats were worn since my grandma's era, we're just wearing what we've worn in our times. I know she's a movie star, but Goldie Hawn is a grandma and she certainly doesn't look like the grandmas of my day but I don't think she looks ridiculous, I think she looks fabulous and age appropriate at the same time. I can't imagine her wearing something frumpy just because she's a grandma. Look at her. Or look at real 50, 60 and 70 year old women, some of them are absolutely stunning and the ones who may not be stunning, still look great in their jeans, t-shirts and flip flops. I think they are dressed age appropriate, do not look ridiculous and should keep on wearing them til they turn 100! So there, Michele whatever your last name is!

When my dad was in his late 50s he got hand me downs from one of my brothers, a nice pair of jeans and a jean jacket. He wore it one day and everyone told him how great he looked, everyone. He said he would never wear them again, he felt ridiculous, everyone noticing him like that. He really looked great, so handsome and not like he was trying to look young and be cool. He was just the type not wanting to see a good pair of pants and a jacket go to waste, why not use them. Never again after that day. It just wasn't his style. His style was always the same. He wore either blue or khaki slacks and a short sleeved buttoned shirt that had to have a pocket for his glasses. We never knew what to buy him, he had so many blue and khaki pants and the same shirts in different colors and that's all he would wear. But that's how I remember him, though again I've seen him dressed in a suit or tux, my memories are just him on a day to day basis wearing his slacks and buttoned shirt with his glasses in his pocket.

Housecoats. Something we wont see around for much longer but they will live on in my generation's hearts and minds. Who knows there could be a story someday that begins...

Years ago your great great grandma Loretta used to come to see your mom and her brothers and sisters, she was a sweet lady, always brought goodies to the house, especially those circus orange peanuts and she wore what was called a housecoat, you don't see them anymore except sometimes in old movies or old TV shows. It was just part of an era, like having that chip inside your hand that scans your information. They didn't have that in the housecoats days, they actually had to carry what is called a wallet, where you kept your money and credit cards. Funny huh? Can you imagine living a life carrying a wallet around, wearing a housecoat...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trishy, you are unbelievable and I love hearing about your memories...and I certainly remember your Mom always having the short housecoats on and my Mom always having the long ones on...I can't wait to read this to my Mom...and we are so blessed to have and have had our Moms....two wonderful, loving, extraordinary women! Thanks for the memories my friend! Love you!

Kathy said...

I love this and agree with Linda....memories of a much more simple time!!

juleesing1 said...

Oh my God, what a trip down memory lane. I remember very vividy my mother wearing housecoats (the long kind). But my best friend's mother never wore them. She always wore regular clothes. I wonder if it was because she was born and raised in Texas, whereas my mother was from the Midwest? My friend's mother was always a bit dressier than my mother was.

But I sure do remember those housecoats. I actually didn't love them, thought they looked dowdy.

And you're right, today I dress so differently from my mother, and I'm well past the age she was when I was growing up. I wear jeans and knit shirts, sometimes t-shirts. Never flip-flops (no support), but flat sandals (Birkenstocks, not the thin, flat ones). And I don't think this type of clothing is not age-appropriate. I don't wear them skin-tight, and my bra doesn't show through, nothing like that. They're just comfortable. But you do have to check the line, the cut, etc., as you age. Some things need adjusting, and if you don't, you can really end up looking silly.

I wear jeans more now that I ever did when I was young, because now they have S-T-R-E-T-C-H! Yay!

Tricia said...

Cool Jules, glad to bring you down memory lane!

I didn't like them either, always told my mom to wear jeans! She use to laugh at me, now I know why.

She wore what her era wore and we do the same!!